Friday, December 01, 2006

The State of Political Blogging

With the onslaught of posts from all the convention crazy Lib blah-blah-blahggers currently posting pictures of Liberal thongs and wetting their red trousers over seeing Ken Dryden up close, I started to think about the state of political blogging these days. I mean, the medium is pretty damn healthy in terms of volume - the pile of political posts being spewed out increases daily. New names ceaselessly appear on blog rolls like Progressive Bloggers and various shamelessly partisan groups. And although quantity is not a parameter that indicates the value of a creative medium, it does say something about utility. Utility is in the eye of the beholder and though personally I find minute by minute accounts of political gatherings useless, tedious and annoying even, others may find them useful, nay, even entertaining (see note below).

But enough about them, let's talk about me. I'm a veteran of the scene already and K-Dough's hasn't even reached it's one year blogiversary yet. That is a conspicuous clue about the nature of the blogging medium: it's instantaneous, like an ethereal digital nervous system in which organisms are born, live and die by the minute. I want to call it a kind of throwaway culture, but it's more than that. It's true that you're only as good as your last post, and daily the fruits of your labour disappear into the murky depths of archival obscurity. But at least all those words are still there available for retrieval and posterity. I can't imagine what would happen if, for instance, blogspot experienced a catastrophic data loss. Gasp.


A year ago, it was pretty much unheard of for bloggers to be considered sources for news or commentary. Now, it's becoming common-place to see the likes of Cherniak on national TV commenting on the Liberal convention. Just yesterday, CBC Radio asked me to do an interview on the nation within a nation debate and I've also been covered in the Ottawa Citizen. My friend Harding Young over at T.O. Crime just celebrated his 50,000th hit and has appeared on national radio and TV for one reason- he authors successful blogs. ChuckerCanuck has one of the most thriving comments sections on the InterWeb where regulars and others debate and argue in detail daily.

Actually, it's become a virtual water cooler or bar counter over at Chucker's place and that seems to me to be one of the fundamental virtues of the medium at this point. The medium and the relative anonymity it provides encourages debate and the expression of diverse views. Of course, the vast sea of blogging is also polluted by the countless flotsam of mindless partisanship and plagiarism. I guess, as with all forms of cultural expression, it's incumbent upon the consumer to mow down the idiot weeds and dig out the gems.

So, where does K-Dough fit into this big picture? Well, hopefuly I provide hope for those who aren't hopelessly partisan that you can write without a tendentious slant or a panting, slobbering sophomoronic love for one party or personality. Well, ok, I may be guilty of a slight degree of Mitsou worship (
HERE and HERE) , but I assure you that my anaphylactic allergy to many right wing policies is a reality of my physiology and nothing more. Hey, if you can't eat (or agree with) nuts because they'll kill you, you just don't eat them.

I would like to thank all my readers for coming to my daily sexified word parties. It's a serious honour that you allow me to exploit you all in my quest for blog stardom. I don't know where this medium is going, but hopefully you'll all get on board the K-Train and help to thin the muddy soup out there in the blog kitchen by skimming the scum off the top any chance you get. Now get back out there and fight stupid at all costs!

*Note: Over the last year, I have published several frustrated rants against blogging polidiots, with what I think was some pretty clever, if not obscene invective. You can check out some of my finer foul-mouthed blog bashing HERE, HERE and HERE . The well of my frustration used to be kept full by the fact that I tried to get guys like Cherniak and Kinsella to be critical of their own arguments and at least debate with detractors in a spirit of critical analysis. Duhh, thank god I stopped that pointless exercise. I've learned that there's really no room for idealism in this jackass eat jackass digital jungle. Even Joanne the sweet seems to have realized that! And who woulda thought we'd see our little girl grow up right here online.

Ah, the special wonders of the mysterious InterWeb.

Labels: ,

32 Comments:

Blogger Harding said...

Awesome post! This should be the definition of Canadian Political Blogging on Wikipedia.

10:17 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

No no no. I meant your spectacular buttocks are shaped like a dreamy hot and steamy muffin. Never mind...

10:27 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Harding said...

I'm scared now...

10:27 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

Geezus..I wonder if anyone thinks *I* have a muffin-ass.

Good post, by the way. When is your one year bloggiversary? Will there be celebrations with drinks, etc??

11:02 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Pam: There is a distinct possibility!

11:11 AM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention our dear friend, Ashley MacIssac. Other than that, nice posting.

11:46 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

KD,

now I'm full of mushy warm feelings. Cyber hugs to you and wet kisses to Pam.

Now for something slightly serious:

I'm so happy that you exist because you and I, in my opinion, share very similar attitudes about blogolia.

Namely: blogs have no conventions and no protocols to follow. We are not a band of journalist-wannabes or Jeffrey-Simpson-ankle-biters.

Your blog makes fantastic points (even the ones I hate) in a funny, irreverant way that is completely unconventional for political discourse.

Your blog is trying to be an imitation of what's in the newspaper. Its trying to be something new and different.

What amazes me is how many people don't get that blogs should be "new and different".

12:10 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

not trying to be an imitation. ooops, I slipped into Cherniak mode.

12:11 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Saskboy said...

But if blogs are a new and different medium, how are the media bigwigs supposed to use their university degrees to exploit children's parent's bank accounts?

And on that note, please observe that today is Ban TV Day around the world. It's a new holiday, leading to the cancellation of cable and satellite bills everywhere. It's just another service provided to you by the Teleban.

12:27 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Sheena said...

I thought it was funny this morning on CBC Radio when they did a rating of all the Liberal hospitality suite parties last night and consensus was that the suckiest lamest party was hosted by the Libloggers. Even political nerds ultimately are still nerds, I guess. The chess club of the democratic system.

12:29 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger bigcitylib said...

Actually, I have recieved no thong shots whatsoever, thus far. Why would you buy sexy underwear if you weren't going to wear it in public?

12:41 PM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been done already...

12:58 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger bigcitylib said...

Thanks, anon. That's looks like Iggy. If so, he's not wearing the official red "I'm Liberal" thong. The scandal! This is up there with the "Bob Rae's signs are orange not red!" scandal.

1:08 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

saskboy: media bigwigs with university degrees? ha! most have barely enough education to perform!

1:12 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

BCL: Nice to hear from ya dude! You'd better watch what you are getting yourself into inviting pix like that.You never know what ghastly, sweaty, boner-crushing creatures are wearing those things those weekend!!!

1:15 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

it would be lovely to find out those thongs were made in China.

1:16 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

CC: - Very nice of you to say those things. I think you almost made my cold black heart twitch.

1:17 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

I almost had deal to sell them a skid load of my patentedFlipper Snappers, but new dangerous Emo Belinda decided to go flipperless and everyone else went "bahhhh".

1:21 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

Flipperless certainly is the trend this week, isn't it? I hope those flipperless chicks have heated car seats.

1:37 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

Do you know what I found seriously disturbing about this story? Everything.
And she needed a wax.
Send her a Flipper Snapper,k-dough, for the love of God.

2:49 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

You're right Pam. The life one baby Harper seal is worth it, if Bratney's bristley blood cave offends thee so much.

Away, to my mail order warehouse!

2:59 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Sheena said...

Britney is yet again a follower. Lindsay and Paris have been modelling the Winter '07 sheared beaver fashions for months now.

And they all can kiss Maggie's Rolling Stoned snapping clam.

I wonder if with Belinda's new hairdo, the curtains finally match the carpets...

3:16 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Sheena- ha! And I'll bet ya any money Belinda's sporting a fur diaper. She doesn't look like the smooth, shaved NEAT type.

3:22 PM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you just keep trippin' the light fantastic; you wax so eloquently!
Blahgger - another lexiconical home run!
Harding is a blore! (Another K-Dough-coined word!)
No wonder I'm such a devoted blalker (yet another K-Dough word!)!!

Ever your blahgging blalking blore ... I'm at your command: smooth and sleek and ready to slap some Limp Leaf Beatches!

3:46 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

ALLT- really, you are too kind. Continue slave...

3:48 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

ALLT: and you forgot my new editions today "sophomoronic" and
"polidiots"- I was esp. proud of those!

4:04 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

Yes, it was GOLD, k-dough. GOLD!

4:14 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Pammie- pulllease stop. You're making me blush! Oh wait- no the rash must be spreading.

4:23 PM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's not (twitch) all I've (twitch) forgotten ...

4:29 PM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww K, I feel so special. Thank you for mentioning me. I reached the party late because it is exam time and I am staying away from my laptop but I still appreciate you mentioning me. It is true, my views have changed over the past year(less than a year actually) and I have certainly grown up, may be a bit but I have a long way to go.

Your blog is one of the few blogs that I visit on daily basis. Your blog has the certain twist to it that keeps your readers loyal and wanting to come back and be part of the discussion. Most of all your blog is not boring like some blogs where you go and the only thing you see is that your guy is bad and mine is good. You always have interesting things to say. Nice post and I look forward to reading more of your posts (after the exams that is:( )

11:55 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Saskboy said...

Naked Britney is a pretty good reason to start lobbying for a worldwide Internet ban.

4:46 PM, December 03, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Joanne- very kind of you to say!

Good luck with exans...

K

8:58 AM, December 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home