Thursday, November 30, 2006

John Turner Bio-Doc Airs Saturday

So, a friend of mine who happens to be a Producer/Director/Writer named Paul Kemp (Stornoway Productions) has made a very interesting and entertaining bio-doc on former PM and prominent Liberal John Turner. Paul dropped off an advance copy at my place last week and I thought I'd let y'all know about it.

Even if you don't like Turner this is well worth watching, if only because his political career careened across many fascinating and turbulent crests on Canada's historical sea. Not to mention, the details of his past evoke memories of the Canada I remember seeing on the news when I was kid. You know, the days when most politicians seemed a little more scholarly, well-spoken and god forbid, well-behaved. Watching old black and white footage of Turner conducting an impromptu seminar with young buzz-cut Liberals at the 1968 Liberal convention reminded me of Ward Clever imparting life lessons to the boys.

You have to check out this positive, fairly non-partisan doc regardless of what striped corner you have painted yourself into. Paul was granted exclusive access to all of Turner's fascinating photos and they figure prominently throughout, while Turner, himself, recounts the battles and joys of his years in Ottawa.

This is a must-see for anyone who loves Canadian history and politics. For the older of us, it will refresh memories and for the younger it will animate what you may see as a one-dimensional past. Either way, it offers new perspective into things we may take for granted regarding Canada's development as a nation.

The hour-long documentary is called John Turner: In His Own Words and will air on Global Television this coming Saturday at 7 pm EST on the ocassion of the Liberal leadership convention. It is also slated to run on iChannel in December. Check out your local listings for details!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Leatherhands said...

Awesome. Also recommended for nostalgic Ontarians for the same glance back at when things were more Ward Cleaverish: Steve Paikin's documentary and book on the life of Premier John Robarts. Back when all the schools and highways were being built...fascinating. (The guy ended up shooting himself in his bathroom when his health started failing.)

9:44 AM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

I'll have to check that out, if only because I spent so much time at Robarts Library at U of T conducting masters thesis research back in the day.

9:47 AM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger Havril said...

I'll watch for sure. But I'm really waiting for the fictional account of his career, where the lead role will be played by Leslie Nielsen.

10:27 AM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Hav- awesome idea. I'd love to see Leslie Neilsen slapsticking and gaffing his way through the FLQ crisis!

Quebec would never have been the same...

10:34 AM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

By the way Havril- if that is your real name- I left this comment on your blog awhile go and you DID NOT respond.

"Hav- we have never addressed the fact that you did not call me when you were in Ontario to have a drink."

10:49 AM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

I'm sure it has nothing to do with your posts about drinking with fellow bloggers and tossing your cookies on fire hydrants.

3:50 PM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Pam- something tells me that would not deter the Havster.

3:57 PM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

It wouldn't deter me, either. I was a little envious that I'd missed it.

4:05 PM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger Havril said...

By the way Havril- if that is your real name- I left this comment on your blog awhile go and you DID NOT respond.

"Hav- we have never addressed the fact that you did not call me when you were in Ontario to have a drink."


Caught that. I actually was responding, but then [insert lame excuse related to drinking water advisory/wind/snow Jill Juggs retrospective on Spice].

Dude, I think we did address that -- though not as publicly as this. I was was looking forward to sippin' suds with you and your posse, but alas the family-in-law obligations and wedding MC duties didn't allow it. Go check your emails from May. It should be right before the one with the pics of me in a garter.

I don't get out to the National Navel very often. But I promise I'll schedule some 'us' time next time I do.

We okay? Or do I have to send flowers?

5:21 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Lol- yo, we tight G.

8:29 AM, December 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home