Friday, September 08, 2006

Zanta Strikes Again

I don't know how I have successfully avoided writing about this super mega-nutcase before, but I've finally caved. For those of you who live in or frequent downtown Toronto, Zanta requires no introduction. For those who don't, you'll need a little background, which you can get HERE or at his personal web site HERE. In short, Zanta is a shirtless (even in the winter) santa hat wearing alien with ripped abs, who yells unintelligible greetings at tour buses, chats with pedestrians and does countless push ups on the streets of the T-Dot. Zanta is frivolity personified.

Last year, City TV/Much Music station staff became obsessed with trying to keep him out of their street shots (artists and directors tend to get moody and jealous if they aren't always the focus of the lens). Zanta liked fame and sought it during every moment of his waking life, but the guy just got too pervasive. City TV, the station that professes to be the media outlet of the common people refused to help Zanta promote himself. I mean really- what were they getting out of it (read: City/Much has become a pompous, vain corporate entity like any other). So, they went to the police and then the courts to get rid of him.

But Zanta would not be discouraged. He moved to fresh climes. Since his legal banishment from the cool kids' kingdom south of College Street, Zanta has frequented the intersection of College and Yonge. On many occassions, I've seen him accosting awkward, puzzled citizens from just outside the windows of Baroli Cafe, my espresso haunt. Zanta endures and can't be contained by injunctions or restraining orders. Zanta is like the wind and moves where nature compels him. Zanta is Zen in motion. In fact, from now on, I will always think of him as Zenta.

In the picture above, taken this week, Zanta has once again captured our hearts and imagination. And once again, he has really pissed someone off. This time in Yorkville, the spiritual mecca of the snooty and idle rich. Zanta is again doing his best work- stealing the spotlight from those who hog it, and giving to the less fortunate- himself. All hail Zanta.

By the way, what the fuck is that washed up has-been Michael Keaton doing at the film festival anyway? He should be grateful someone took a picture of him at all. If weren't for Zanta's cameo, I doubt anyone would have.

If you are so inclined, HERE is an online flash version of a documentary on Zanta's bizarre life.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Sheena said...

I had a close encounter with him one saturday morning last winter before I started my blog. Was on the Bloor W subway and he was on from around Keele to Jane. Was doing pushups in the aisle, flexing in the reflection of the windows, pounding on the doors between the cars.

Freaked me out. Didn't realize he was local colour and thought I was going to get mugged that day.

11:29 AM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Sheena- If you were ever mugged by Zanta, at least it would be easy to ID him in a line-up.

J-Dawg- A hun is a barbaric Mongolian horseman.

11:43 AM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

I think we should dedicate this thread to sharing stories of Zanta Encounters- real or imagined.

Next?

11:43 AM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger Sheena said...

I really prefer "Osanta Bin Laden" who is a homeless black guy who hangs around the Gladstone who asks for donations to his mayoralty campaign.

12:26 PM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

I know that guy. What's his real name? He used to hang around Montana's/John Street a few years back....

12:33 PM, September 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-Dough, I have seen Zanta may be once in downtown. I plan to go to Yorkville tomorrow or on sunday to see if I can catch anyone famous out there. I sure hope to see Zanta there stealing the spotlight from Brad Pitt.

4:00 PM, September 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh Zanta..

I see Zanta on a regular basis.
I had the pleasure of him doing push ups right in front of me on the subway a few weeeks back.

"yes yes yes!"

4:08 PM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

He looked really out of it last week in front of Baroli. Maybe he was tired and in carb withdrawal. He was all droopy and shit, just sitting on the sidewalk, looking bored. No cameras around. Poor Zanta.

4:24 PM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger scout said...

i channelled him the other day, went to alison's (creekside's) house and yelled 'yes yes yes'. she didn't flinch. i did pushups, reached 3, then collapsed on her floor. alison snarked at me which brought me out of the trance. i put my red hat back in my truck and drove home.

6:28 AM, September 09, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Scout- sorry to hear about your miserable Zanta emulation project gone terribly wrong. You need to go back into training. But you have to train hard like Ralph Macchio did in the K K movies. Only then will you even be able to begin to understand the essence of the great ZENTA.

Now get out of my sight!
Yes, yes yes!!!

8:01 AM, September 09, 2006  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

From my gym-going experiences, I'd have to say most body builders behave exactly the same way in front of the mirrors, including the incoherent babbling stuff. Zanta's just takin' it to the streets.
(Fave quote from a personal trainer to a guy trying to bench-press past his limit: "C'mon asshole, I'm talkin' to you! YOU ARE A PISTON!!"

9:46 AM, September 09, 2006  
Blogger Sheena said...

Yesterday there was a pervasive "crazy street person" vibe in the air yesterday. Stopped at a neighbourhood pub after work yesterday and a couple of long time crazies walked by, so the 3 of us sat around talking about regular neighbourhood crazies, and Zanta came up because the bartender saw him up in Yorkville that day, Kdough.

weird, eh?

10:17 AM, September 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home