Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Amsterdamned Forever

Days like this are some of my favourite. The smell of coffee wafting along Bloor Street as the rain mists my face; Chris Isaak's Wicked Game soothing my iHead while limousines shuffle Hollywood-type pre-film fest sojourners to their booked-a-year-ago suites. Though this is present day Toronto, on days like this I am time-shifted back to damp Amsterdam, where I once lived for a short time.

I could barely control my urge to stride past my office this morning and find some comforting place harbouring warm croissants and earthy koffie creamed with sweet, vanilla-y koffiemelk. But that kind of spontaneity only comes in small bubbles these days: The casualty of an important, responsible workaday role. Pfft.

There may be nothing better in this cruel world than the feeling of carelessly wiling away hours at a canal-side cafe, by yourself, thumbing through Camus and eyeing some gorgeous blonde beauty from behind your desperately sweating pint of Oranjeboom. Or cradling a hot mug of Turkish java in the open window of a Dam coffee shop, with the thick incense of sweet hash in your throat and nostrils and Burning Spear gently massaging your soul from the smokey womb of dark wood floors and panels.

The depth of such experience is only measurable by the state of relaxation it inspires. The head room for introspection cannot be bought or sold. It can only come from abandon. And for the first time in years, I feel that reaching that depth is once again a distinct possibility. I am renewing the lease on my soul -- on my terms.

WARNING: Over the next while, (well, for as far as I can see from this limited vantage point) you might want to visit my archives - or the COMMENTS section for each post- if you are looking for the regular blasphemous, foul shite. I am in a deeply introspective mood lately (in case you haven't noticed), so these pages may make you want to puke, fall in love with me or leave me forever. All options are not only understandable, but encouraged.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vacation. Reminds me of Paris. Sigh.

10:49 AM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

any time! we can commiserate over beers and brunch on Sunday...

10:50 AM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

We'd travel well together K-man. In your "blonde beauty" link, I'd definitely go for the chick on the right.
(I'd just have to get past all the chicks talking like my mother...)

11:09 AM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Leather- We'd be dangerous, but perfect wing men.

12:11 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

BTW- am I freaking anyone out with the tone of these posts yet?

12:11 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally.. but I dig it, in a sick way.

12:15 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

like sik - as in totally totally rad, fucking awesome kind sik?

or sick, as in "I'm a blossoming mental patient" kinda sick?

12:24 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blossoming mental patient kind of way. But I think I may be the blossoming mental patient.

12:26 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

LC- Well then, let me be the first to congratulate you on your brilliant crazy colours- you wacked out little daisy you.

12:28 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One broken heart = time to contemplate.

Never a bad thing... just remember, sometimes a person can think too much. Sometimes a person can blame themselves to much... Sometimes a person has to remember that it always takes two people to tango.

Nice picture you painted by the way.

12:53 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

JC- for me, it's more about regaining a loss sense of self than a broken heart. It's also about regaining that tangible, electric feeling of being alive, as we peel off the hardened layers of scab from our souls that were necessarily grown to survive an unfulfilling existence.

12:59 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

Dude, I can't even look at the old home movies that were shot when the kids were babies, birthdays, etc. I had them all here so I could transfer them over to dvd and give them back to the ex.
Why was it so hard? Loved seeing the kids as babies, couldn't give a shit about seeing the ex (fuck, I have to see her at least once a week in person anyway)...nope..because I couldn't stand looking at/listening to myself. I don't even recognize that guy. And I don't like him. Welcome back to yourself; it just keeps getting better.

1:19 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger pam said...

Freaking me out? no way..but I am really wishing we were sitting around drinking a big bottle of red wine and having this conversation.
Loss of sense of self? I hope you find it. It's too bad that it's often that way in relationships, and it shouldn't be.

1:19 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger dog gone it said...

K-Dude:
I've always said you amaze me ... but you've also "freaked me out" as well since you were about fourteen.
Nice to see you keeping it up!

Your tone: pure K-Baby straight from the source, and anyone who knows you well can imagine being told the story in conversation huddled over a few too many imported Belgian wobbly pops.
Pam, you are too right!

Keep gettin' your freak on K-Dough ... I always knew you kept in it there somewhere!

1:24 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

I think a big naked e-hug is in order. Oops..hey what the hell was that? Leather? I hope it wasn't Pam... Aw whatever, it felt good.

Wine(ing)together is defintely a future possibility - as long as Shaneena doesn't insult my sophmoronic tastes!

Thanks for your undying support Dog Gone It- or Govinda as you are better known in the East.

1:36 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

BTW- Leather- I thought your point about hating seeing your former self was especially poignant...

Pam- One thing I know is that self is never lost. It's window-dressed, dressed up and down, salad dresed, undressed, dressed to kill and All-Dressed, but it's never lost.

It is whatever you think it is.

1:38 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi K,
when I saw your post, I thought you had taken a few days off to let somebody else post for you but then I read the warning.

I like this K-Dough too, he seems to be in a poetic mood. But don't give up on your jolly old side;)

2:13 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Geezus- long time since we've heard from you Joanne...how are ya sweetie?

2:30 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am good, back to school. Having fun without blogging, I just have to venture from your blog to some others just to remind me why I left blogging and why it should stay that way. Life is so much better without politics;)

I am sorry about all you have been through in the past few months. Hang on and life will surely get better than it is now.E-HUGs!

Anyways, see you all later.

2:42 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear KD! Now how bout' finding that whore dog slut maniac self of yours and painting a down right nasty picture of something only a French girl in Paris would consider if there was diamonds involved.

Whoa hoo!

Not too nasty though, Joanne is still young.

You need a vacation man...

4:46 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh Vaginaville.. I learn so much from you KD.... sooooo much!

9:18 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

I liked your "fellow travelers" tag in the other post and can relate to some of the experiences you and leatherhands describe. Positive affirmation, dude. Don't know if you need it or want it, but- respect.

10:12 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Whitey- always need and want it. Much appreciated dude!
K

9:32 AM, September 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home