Monday, September 10, 2007

Writ Drop Fever

4 years ago, around this time, I was flexing my democratic biceps, working hard behind-the-scenes of a campaign to help end 8 years of tyrannical neo-con rule. A tangible sense of excitement hung in the cool autumn air, as that red meteor hurtled towards the blue terra firma to eventually cause the extinction of those Harrisite dinosaurs. That election changed my little piece of reality in ways I can't really get into, but suffice to say, things got much better in my beloved province for many people I know.

Today, Ontario's future will once again be plunged into uncertainty as the paperwork is filed and we offically kick-off a new campaign period leading up to election day on October 10th. I implore you to really listen to and question what candidates in your ridings are saying. Don't succumb to the popular cop-outs that other lazy-ass citizens use to explain their democratic abstinence: "Uhhh, I don't like any of 'em so I'm not voting". I can't count the number of so-called intelligent people I've met who have used some version of this lame-ass excuse to explain why they don't vote. It makes them no better than the average drooling idiot who doesn't even know there is an election going on.

People DIE in less fortunate societies to be able to vote. But here, we die because we gourge ourselves on junk food, play video games and let our childish brains decay in dormancy. Too many of us only exist to consume, yet maintain a smug sense of self-entitlement. We love to blame politicians in a knee-jerk for everything under the sun that irks us, yet we don't get off our fat asses and make our society a better place by becoming democratically active.

Don't be one of the ignorant mASSES this time - make your voice heard. Vote for someone on October 10th - anyone!!!

Please visit Elections Ontario if you have any questions whatsoever about where to vote, how to register to vote, etc. You can access the web site HERE. And try to pass on a little bit of your knowledge to everyone you know over the next month!!!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger dog gone it said...

I was glad-handed by a tory candidate this past weekend on Bloor Street.

His sage advice was something like: try the beer ice cream, it's delicious!

10:38 AM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

DGI- you should have called him on it- something like: "So, are you saying the PC party advocates combining alcohol and trans fats and feeding it to our kids? What do you think of the Liberal platform commitment to ban trans fats in our schools? And what would your party do to ensure children are eating healthy?

10:47 AM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger Lord Kitchener's Own said...

Just for the record, definitely DON'T try to vote for anyone on October 11th!!!

Election/Referendum day is October 10th!

11:37 AM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

uhhhh my "0" button was broken, but thanks to you Lord Kitsch, I have been graciously alerted of the deficiency and have now replaced said defective key.

damned computers and their inferior keyboard devices!!!

:P

11:42 AM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger dog gone it said...

I was thinking of possible questions ... my mind raced ... but in the end I imagined being embarassed for him as he struggled for an answer so I ignored him and then promptly forgot about him until just now.

Although, I think you would have had a load of fun with him K-Dough- like shooting fish in a barrel:

He was a bit too eager to "keep it light" with the ice-cream conversation.
There was a palpable lack of eye contact.
There was no handshake (this was probably a good thing, in retrospect).
He really never stopped walking/nervously shuffling, while he talked.
And to top it off, his departing salutation was about as weak as Joe Clark's chin, as he busily retuned himself to his assistant and his Blackberry.

What else you could have asked in follow-up questioning ... ?

12:02 PM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

I dunno, but saying something like "as weak as Joe Clark's chin" would have been a great start! LOL.

1:33 PM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

Dude, this one's a tough one. It'll be a tight race, but in the end....yawn.I can't get past the lies and the slowly creeping sense of entitlement. I liked Dalton at first (in a "befriending a geek" kind of way), but he's getting a bit smirky for my liking. He could possibly be a kitten teaser from this planet. I used to like Sorbara too, but hearing him dodge and weave on CFRB about the budget/won't raise taxes debacle was painful. He tried to make lighthearted jokes about it, but it really isn't very funny.
Too bad John Tory stuck his foot in his mouth with the faith-based school can of worms.
Howard Hampton is still a bellowing moron, and his head seems to be getting bigger. I don't mean ego-wise, I mean PHYSICALLY bigger. It's scary. The dippers definitely need some new blood.
I'll just be doing what I always do; just focus on my local MPP.
There just isn't a clear good guy and bad guy to me.

4:35 PM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Leather- let's have drinks. I will convince you- one way or the other.

6:35 PM, September 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lurve a good erection call...

7:44 PM, September 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go K'Dough. We citizens get the government we do or don't vote for if you know what I mean. Voting is not only a right but also a responsibility!

8:18 PM, September 10, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Orivia- you'd better not let Jack catch you flirtin' on my blog again ...

10:32 PM, September 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home