Thursday, September 13, 2007

Crumpled Beauty

I took the subway today because I have drinking plans after work. Something about the anonymity of that human herring-packed metal tube always gets me thinking. It's crazy that one can be surrounded by so many humans, yet you can't help but feel if you just burst out in tears no one would notice. Sure, a few may momentarily glance over the tops of their Metro tabloid news round-up, but you'd still be crying alone. And once you got off at the next stop, they'd forget you, like that crumpled up tabloid left on a seat for someone else to pick up, peruse and dispose of, once again.

People do this to people. I have come to realize that. Even the most trusted, intimate people in your life crumple you up and leave you on a subway seat. But you know what, there is beauty in it. It's a natural occurrence, like a force of nature: A devastating flood or an earthquake. Everything dies and is reborn, as do friendships and loveships. But there is beauty, always, even if it sometimes is hidden under ash and silt. Even ash and silt can be beautiful- depends on your depth of perspective.

What I have learned -- no, what I am learning, is that the only way to ameliorate your own suffering is to lessen the suffering you cause others. Although I believe suffering is an inescapable part of being human, causing others to suffer is a choice -- an act of will.

I am now searching for beauty even though many of us tend to "give bad names to beautiful things". I am searching for beauty in love; beauty in pain; beauty in nature; beauty in thought and perception; and beauty in expression. And from now on, I will try to choose subway cars filled by other beauty-seekers, so they, too, can see the value of my tabloidy crumpledness.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww yer sweet my friend. I learn a lot from you.. xo..

10:11 AM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

LC: sweet of you to call me sweet. But I think I'm more sweet and sour - without the chicken balls. Mine are more like hairless baby hamsters.

10:28 AM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger dog gone it said...

K-Dough,

Your "tabloidy crumpledness" is what attracted me to you in the first place.

Thankfully, you haven't ironed it out yet.

10:30 AM, September 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I left out the sour hairless baby hamster part.. forgive me.

10:31 AM, September 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. K-Dough,

I've just now returned from the countryside: was helping a good friend move.

What's all this about hairless baby hamster's?

Where would one enquire/aquire?

Thanks ... oh, I've got to go ...

10:47 AM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

you pussycats is all cwazy

11:01 AM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Govinda: thanks.

11:02 AM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

Yeah, but the people who caused you the pain can still be referred to as "cocksuckers." In a beautiful way, of course...

4:00 PM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

That could be the next Madonna single: "Beautiful Cocksucker".

To be honest, I don't really know what is so pejorative about that word. Sounds warm and kind to me.

4:10 PM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

K-Dough,

I've been down that philosophical world and it led me the most beautiful thing of all: Stephen Harper's Conservatives.

aw, shit, me thinks I spoiled the mood or made someone sick.

2:58 PM, September 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No no Chucker... KD didn't post today, so your comment must have made him stop and realize the truth... or he's too hungover from last night.



Which is as good as recognizing the truth:)

5:40 PM, September 14, 2007  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

I like the rebirth metaphor- the ash and silt. None of us are static, and furthermore- we're different things to different people.

-Like that old parable of the blind men all providing different descriptions of the elephant, could our family, friends or colleagues all agree on who we really are?

But, I tend to disagree with the crumpling and discarding... People drift out and back into our lives, almost like planets whose orbits occasionally intersect.

Friendships, even "loveships" can be revisited, recycled. At least, that's been my experience...

Not to say the either of us is right or wrong, and, I certainly find beauty in the way you express things...

cheers dude!

7:32 PM, September 14, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

CC- you're sick.

11:30 AM, September 17, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Whitenoise- your kind words were much appreciated...
K

11:31 AM, September 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home