Friday, September 15, 2006

Hyper-Caffeinated Gentrification

On a lighter note kids, today's lesson is about the corporate insanity currently occurring in my neighbourhood. While we have long suspected that our little corner of mid-town Toronto would eventually become gentrified, because our property values have skyrocketed in the past 5 years, we never imagined that the opening of a Starbucks last year would cause the landslide of coffee inSIPidness that we are now experiencing.

Starbucks opened it's little opiate den of fat-laden liquid shit just a while ago, across the street from an existing privately-owned coffee/bakery, called World Class Bakers (click HERE for a review). Within a year or so, Second Cup opened an outlet two doors down from World Class (see map above). At this point things were getting weird. While we have longed for better looking and managed businesses in the area since we moved there 8 years ago, this wasn't exactly what we had imagined. Our amenity list included such convenient walking distance attractions as great restaurants, dry cleaning, medical offices and liquor stores. Now, in addition to Pain Perdu- an awesome upscale French patisserie with cheap, great espresso - we had our choice of 3 java junkie dealers within a 3 second jaunt of each other. Crazy right? Wait- it gets crazier.

The other night, a restaurateur insider in the local BIA told me that a new Tim Horton's is moving in on the opposite corner from Second Cup. WTF? Now, that intersection is poised to become a toxic black tar mess of drooling hyper-caffeinated, 40 year old yoga mat toting hipster fucks. What is Tim's thinking? Seriously?

A few years ago, our neighbourhood gained continental notoriety for being the first urban hood to successfully win court challenges against the McDonald's empire, stopping them from putting in a drive-thru. For a while, McDonald's became the hated target for the venom of 30-something anti-corporate protesters, who ostensibly wanted to maintain the hood's integrity. But, now it seems, when it comes to overpriced caffeine products, and lard-laden ass-bloating treats posing as food, my increasingly shi shi neighbours are heaving their arms in the air and tearfully welcoming the advent of the coffee kings like the French being liberated by the Allies in '45. I mean c'mon people, these coffee cons are really just McDonald's for adults- aren't they?

My weekend message: Support your local, privately-owned businesses. Ma 'n Pa rules! Take the boots to the corporate coffee thieves that are stealing your souls - before it's too late!

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timmy Hoe's went to that little corner for a reason. Thunder Bay had Robin's doughnuts as local competition, and they opened Tim's across from or very near most of them. They closed. There was a Country Style near my office, and Tim's put that out of business. Some people gotta have that triple triple with their carmel apple fritter on the way to work, ya know.

11:01 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Pam- I know. In the city, we call them suburbanites.(Snicker)

Don't y'all think it's redundant to compete for such a competitive micro market share?

11:29 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

My wife's family owns a farm in Stayner Ont. and there's only one Timmy's in what is essentially a two street town. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, there's a fucking line-up of cars and trucks in the drive through lane that stretches well out onto the main street. So you see, it's not just suburbanites who are clued out as to what real coffee is.
(My Italian band-mates refer to Timmy's as "a candy bar in a cup." Bang on.)

12:28 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

Oh yeah, I was a beacher way back when a McDonalds opened up in that hood, and everyone fought tooth and nail to keep it out. They didn't succeed; a small McDonalds with very small discreet signage opened up at the corner of Queen and Lee...the very hub of the main park...and quietly closed down about two years later. Boycotting does work.

12:44 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leather, since you refused to share your coffee making formula with me, I have to contend myself with drinking from Timmiy's or Starbucks.
K-Dough, I would love to have all those around my house. Bu there is only a country style about 2kms from my house.

3:19 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll admit it. I DO drink Starbucks the odd time, BUT ONLY WHEN I'M IN CHAPTERS. I don't drink the coffee, but I drink the chai tea latte. My son drinks the steamed vanilla milk (but not in front of his hockey-playing friends).

God, it's such a relief to spill that.

3:39 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

For god's sake- don't go to Chapters! Go to your local, long-haired messy bookstore. Oh my god, I'm panicking now. Pam is promoting massive evil corporations here on my blog!!!

Wait... do think I could make a little money that way?

3:53 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, I know. I'm sorry. I love dusty old used bookstores, but I go to Chapters now and then. We have a few writers in the family and they despise Chapters. I don't care! I like all those magazines and overly-sweetened, overpriced tea!

4:14 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Don't get me srtated on the plastic McTea market!

4:31 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Vicki said...

Guess I better not tell you how Pain Perdu makes their espresso huh?

9:20 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Vicki- I'm all ears...

The fact that you even commented from out of the dark shadows is good enough though...

7:03 AM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Candace said...

Second Cup are franchises, so owned independently. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

But I'm boycotting Chapters, even though my daughter thinks I'm an idiot (she's 12, I expect that opinion to become stronger over the next few years anyway, might as well start early). I'm only aware of ONE independent bookstore of any size in Edmonton, and that's the one that gets my cash these days.

6:43 PM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger scout said...

'the big guys' just can't help themselves , can they? its like the beer giants buying out or muscling out the micro and smaller breweries (oh sleeman, how could you sell out to japan??).

i'm not a starbucker (i've been a few times, like, what's the big deal??), nor a tims (why oh why would anyone want to go to a place where you can't put a sweetner in yourself and they put in a very measured amount???).

converged coffee corners seem to be all over the place...driving through vancouver i notice there's a gazillion heaped in corners everywhere. but java profits are quite something so i guess to compete with established outfits can pay and the make or brake factor keeps some going. whatevers!

oh it's a dog eat dog world! or is that juan valdez vs. mom and pop?

2:46 AM, September 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home