Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The View from Little Italy


It may be trite, but there is absolutely no option for me today but to write about Italy's World Cup win. You see, I live in Toronto's St. Clair West neighbourhood - the quintessential Little Italy. Yesterday, we had some Italian friends over from the burbs - Woodbridge, which is basically Little Italy north- to watch the game. Also, our neighbour CJ- who has deep roots in France- was there. My WASPy wife, me the Ukie, my rapidly-growing almost-2-year-old daughter and our friend Elana- an American-Canadian Jewish-Greek (long story) all ate prosciutto and Camembert, drank Dutch beer and broke bread while taking in the final showdown. After the winning goal, we ran out to the porch to hear the tidal wave of roars originating on the Corso Italia pour down St. Clair, through the neighbourhoods of Italians, Jamaicans, South Americans, Portuguese and everyone else under the sun. In minutes, the entire area erupted into a deafening din which sustained itself well into the night from that moment on.

We had to get out there, so we waded through the swarming masses of ecstatic Tri-Colore adorned revellers -- many of whom were likely not Italian either. The pure joy emanating from these hundreds of thousands was contagious. And the event was as conspicuous for its festivity as it it was for what didn't happen. There was no violence. No lawlessness. No injury.

But the day didn't end for us there. We then subwayed ourselves down to Queen's Park, because despite the celebrations in our hood, we couldn't miss checking out one of our favourite summer cultural festivals, AfroFest. Within minutes, we were enveloped by thousands who came to experience African music, food and culture. After a while we were drawn back to the happy insanity that continued to grow in our absence only a few stops away.

Even though I'm not Italian, I felt immense pride in my heart yesterday. I even felt sentimental. Some might ask "Why would you care? You're just a mange cake". To those I would say this: What happened in this city yesterday exemplified the best that Toronto has to offer. The beer buzz, the people and the warm blanket of an inclusive community all made me realize I would not want to be living anywhere else on this globe. It also made me think how happy I am to know that my daughter will have the rich, unique and priceless advantage of growing up in the most omni-cultural city on the face of the earth.

Viva Italia! Vive le Canada!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Sheena said...

Nice post, Kdough. This weekend reinforced for me that I made the right decision to relocate.

Did Yonge Street Fest Saturday afternoon, Little Italy Saturday night, Grand Prix on Sunday.

Yay YYZ.

10:52 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Sheena- Nice to hear. It's hard to hear sometimes when people from other Canadian cities trash Torontonians for the perception that we think we are the centre of universe. The very spirit of inclusivity here transcends that kind of petty popularity contest bullshit.

Call it like it is: What better constitutes the centre of the human universe than a city that houses so many diverse cultural identities?

11:31 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Andrew W. said...

Great post!

Although I could see myself sipping mint tea in a refurbished riad in Fez, or an espresso at a cafe on the shores of Lake Maggiore, right now, at this time in my life, it's hard to imagine myself in a better place, with better people, than Toronto.

11:57 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

Viva Italia!!! Especially the women...(dabs forehead with handkerchief..)

12:03 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Yes,or eating hash and sipping apple tea in a Turkish bazar.

Hey wait, don't get me off topic!

12:06 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Harding said...

Oui! Moi aussi - Vive le Canada!

It was cool to see you and gal and baby in the heart of celebration yesterday. Were you able to get any sleep? I think some of those people are still there. In fact, I think they'll be staying there for about 4 years.

Toronto is the meeting place of many nations.

H-

12:10 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger scout said...

oh you urbanites! all was quiet on our wee isle, save perhaps for in the two pubs or private homes.

i was in east van on commercial drive a few years ago with my daughter when brazil won. the jubilation and people pouring into the streets was GREAT!!! i'm sure commercial drive went bonkers when italy won. i can only conjure from your post the multiplication of this with toronot's larger population. there's some good things about cities :)

thanks for the colourful report!

4:37 PM, July 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Prozac alcohol liver klonopin bipolar Aprilaire filter humidifier

6:04 PM, January 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

3:55 PM, February 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home