Monday, February 20, 2006

Canada is Hockey


Ok. I have no axe to grind to today. I'm axeless. I just want to talk a bit about my overwhelming anxiety due the poor performance of our Canadian men's hockey team. I know everyone right now is an arm-chair coach, with advice on what has gone wrong with game plans, morale, uniform and accessories choices, calorie intake, emotional states etc.. I have no advice to offer. I am just one proud Canadian boy, hoping in my heart that these guys pull through this awful mini-slump. Call it superficial, nationalistic or lunk-headed sports fanaticism. Call it what you will. But there is no better feeling than seeing our boys in red and white pummel other teams into oblivion.

I was in the stands in Hamilton in 1987 and gaped as Gretzky and Lemieux rushed the Russian end, in the final minutes of a nail-biting Canada Cup game, and scored that fan-fucking-tastic goal to win the game and the tournament. At that moment, as an arena of Canadians leapt to its feet in one massive surge of excitement and pride, I felt more Canadian than at any other time in my life. Ok, well maybe getting pissed on Parliament Hill on Canada Day comes a close second... Anyway, the point is that Canada must win or my abundant tears will flow until I wither, dehydrate and (shudder) am forced to drink a Bud Light in protest. Desperate times, desperate measures!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Canada, I love hockey, and I love beer. Throw them all together and I'll be a pig in shit.
However, it doesn't always mean that Canada has to win. Yes, being raised in the Great White North provides us with the ingrained knowledge that we're the best hockey players in the world. But I'm also happy to concede a few games here and there for the cause of rivalry and competition.
As long as we're losing to Russia, Finland, or Sweden, I'll be content knowing that it's for the love of the game. However, I don't do well losing to the USA.

1:00 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Ok then- how about losing to the Swiss??? My god man, what have we come to?

1:04 PM, February 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Swiss were as surprised as we were with that game. But yes, that was more deflating than the familiar line, "are you sure you're in?"

1:41 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Peter- I thought that after you started using that vacuum pump device, the standard phrase had changed to "why are you using your thumb?"

2:02 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

ager- love the unclaimed gold line...

Has anyone considered that maybe this is just all part of the blue 'n white Quinn curse? I mean all these years coaching in Toronto takes a toll on a man ya know? Dealing with the constant disappointment,empty hopes and - well,I could go on but I won't.

2:04 PM, February 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, the TML have nothing to do with Team Canada playing .500 hockey in Turin... and anyone suggesting that is more pathetic than the Hab-not die-nasty.

2:14 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Ok Peter- I'll hold back on the vicious retort even though I'm gritting my teeth and a vein is bulging on my forehead right now. Let's call a truce on the Hab-Loafs tension until the Olympics are over. Deal?

Of course, after that it's war as usual!

2:44 PM, February 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deal - Go Canada Go!

3:00 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Women's Hockey Gold Medal Game Update:

After 1 period,Canada leads Sweden 2-0.

3:08 PM, February 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ok then- how about losing to the Swiss??? My god man, what have we come to?"

Just wait till we start losing to the Aussies and the Chinese!!!!!

8:52 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

So they barely squeaked out a win vs. the Czech's today. If it wasn't for Brodeur they would've been pumelled in the 3rd though.
Yikes.

3:47 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Havril said...

Ouch. Dude. Sorrow is sorrow -- but Bud Light?! That's just sad. Give your head a shake!

12:58 AM, February 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home