Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sunday Morning Cartoons

So, apparently, for years, there has been a segment of the Canadian cartoonist community who's closet genre has been drawing religious caricatures that offend other cultures to illustrate broad principles of free speech. Of course, I'm talking about those baby hamsters of intellectualism -undergrad university students. And, apparently this muslim cartoon flap has just enraged the up-til-now silent community into activism, regardless of threats by certain fun-loving fundamentalist muslims, to drink the warm blood of every human who has ever eaten at a McDonalds. Needless to say, the key messages of the fundamentalist public relations campaign could use a little tweaking. Problem is, they're saddam full of religious zeal, they can't see the jokes for the trees. Errr, the chuckles for the q'uoran?

For you Canadian university students out there: Pick your battles sensibly. Fill in the gaps in free speech that need to be filled in. The Varsity's decision not to run the cartoon was judicious. Now smoke a joint and move on to another frivolous fringe cause that you have no personal stake in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. All this talk of freedom of speech (of which I am an ardent supporter) neglects to engage concepts of respect and good judgment. Just because you can say/print/draw it, doesn't make it a good or responsible idea.

Clearly some U rags were looking to make a name for themselves.

2:44 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Harding said...

I'm really offended by the fact that you published this cartoon. Portraying Satan in this light is an affront to my religion, and it is an attack on all things holy. There's NO WAY my dark lord goes to bed with Saddam Hussein! OH, I'M PISSED!!!

That's it. I'm banning all things Dough-ish. In fact, I'm banning dough, which I will refer to henceforth as "freedom puff". Plus I'm going to burn down your embassy, which is probably a cubicle in some big private dough-making corporation...

11:47 PM, February 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home