Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Chinese Problem

An article in the Globe yesterday highlighted an apparent growing trend amongst out-of-luck Chinese immigrants in Toronto who are sending their babies back to mainland China because they can not afford child care. Advocates confusingly have blamed these cases of familial separation on Immigration Canada. The logic is twisted: Immigration Canada promotes this country as the best place on earth to live, and because these immigrants can't find well-paying jobs and are forced to work minimum wage jobs to get by, the state is somehow responsible.

Immigrants are people. People are commodities in the job market. It's a free world based on speculation and if you don't have what the market wants you're not going to make money. Of course, there are language and credential barriers between pretty much every two countries in the world. But why would anyone think Canada would be any different? The days of the Gold Mountain are long gone.

Some critics point to a recent steep decline in immigration applications from China as evidence that these returned babies are stopping other Chinese from wanting to come here. But has anyone thought about the possibility that the promise of a nascent free market economy in China itself could be responsible for luring Chinese into staying at home and toughing it out in the wild, wild East? Naw, couldn't be anything that macro.

Of course, no one wants to point out either that these parents could just as easily choose to return WITH their kids to China and that there may be issues of personal responsibility and accountability involved here. No, of course not. We can just chalk the trend up to the enigmatic cultural character of those mysterious Chinese, while Chinese community advocates manipulate the pathos for all its worth.

And let's face it: Doesn't it make cold, hard economic sense to birth a child in Canada so that child instantly becomes a Canadian citizen, then send him/her away for a much cheaper upbringing in another country where trusted relatives will maximize the money you send home to care for that child? I don't want to sound too cynical, but this sounds a lot like the sojourners of old who constituted the Chinese diaspora in the late 1800s. Those men worked horribly difficult labourers jobs here only to remit most of what they earned to their family or village association back in China. The immigrants of today are more educated than the coolies were, but nevertheless make similar economic choices for the sake of family above their own emotional needs.

In another way, this resembles the wave of affluent Hong Kong immigrants in the late 1980s and early 90s who bought real estate, returned to HK and conversely left their children behind in Canada to maintain immigration status before the takeover of HK by China in 1997 - just in case things went bad.

Look, I am not without sympathy for any mother or child who are separated. I'm a father and could not imagine ever doing such a thing for any reason. But saying this is happening because of unfair conditions in the host country, or simply because Chinese immigrants are more desperate than any other visible minority immigrant group is ridiculous. Doing so only perpetuates negative stereotypes of powerlessness and otherness that I would hope most Chinese would be seeking to rid themselves of after all these years.

Chinese are not powerless, stupid or naive. They are as industrious, culturally vibrant and intelligent as the rest of us.

*The title of this post refers to a book called The Chinese Problem published in 1876 by American L.T. Townsend, which discussed the merits of excluding Chinese from immigrating to the US, and specifically California. You can view PDFs of the original text HERE.

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Leatherhands said...

Well written and argued. I thought about this issue quite a bit yesterday when the story hit the airwaves. I came up with the following personal credo re being a parent:
- I would never have children if I couldn't be physically present to raise them
- every major decision I have made since having children is on the premise that I will physically (and geographically) be there to raise them. That's the difference between the experience of parenting and simply perpetuating the species.

11:22 AM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Leather0- Although I absolutely agree with your premise re: "difference between the experience of parenting and simply perpetuating the species" I have to say such views are always coloured by socio-cultural and socio-economic perspective.

11:29 AM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Leatherhands said...

Undoubtedly.....it's interesting how we are all products of those factors, and yet only get an occasional glipmpse of that truth.. I was scared of my Dad, (typical strict European immigrant with a short fuse, and BIG fucking hands) and worshipped my big brother....he was cool, took the time to explain things to me and had a rebellious streak in him. It wasn't until I saw some covert home video footage of me interacting with my boy that I realized I had become my brother for him.
In a way, I felt like a helpless puppet after seeing that.

11:40 AM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Romana King said...

oooh, a rant. i just LOOOOOVES a good rant. Especially when it's about personal responsibility, overblown expectations and cultural differences. Of course, i have to agree with the absurdity of blaming an institution (government, culture, etc.) for a personal choice -- and, apparently, these immigrants made a choice to come to Canada to get "the good life." This is the sad fact about responsibility and accountability. Too often we demand "bodies of power" to exert control and exempt us from the consequences of making decisions. What? Don't like the outcome of your immigration choice? Blame the newland government! It reminds me of my former-favourite uncle's rant about the deterioration of his quality of life AFTER the apartheid government in South Africa fell. He believed, truly believed, that by virtue of his choice (to move to South Africa to get a better life) that he was ENTITLED to that life. Eventually (and bitterly) he moved back to England. Perhaps shipping off the kids to mainland China is cultural equivalent to my uncle's realization: we all need to work at it...whatever it is.

good blog k-dough. as usual.

11:48 AM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Tanx RK!

12:49 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Joe Calgary said...

I work for a Chinese owned company KD... I would suggest sending them all here for jobs, but the boss hates Chinese people... go figure?

2:13 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Oh... Happy Newt Year by the way:)

2:14 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

JC- long time no hear. Back from Progresso so soon?

2:18 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Yep... actually, I'm buying a house in Valladolid (well, thats perhaps too generous a description, say instead I'm buying a target for a bulldozer, and they threw in the land)

Progresso is a sheethole... too many Canadians and Americans.

The good news is it's still only 20 Peso's if you get caught drunk driving.

2:23 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Joe Calgary said...

I had to come home early to arrange some legal stuff... namely money.

2:24 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

sounds kinda sordid to me- money, fleeing Mexico, legal stuff. hmmmmmmmm...you really are an exec aren't you?

2:30 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Unfortunately.

I found a beautiful little spot of land. All "Eden" like... no white folks to fuck things up.

With WalMart, Costco, Sears, JC Penny, Home Depot, etc... just 60 minutes drive away.

Gotta love progress.

2:36 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Sounds great, But do you get your your own mule? All rich white guys south of the border need a mule. Well, a mule AND a small engine aircraft...

2:46 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

KD,

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and try to steal a little of your glory - I'll just say I enjoyed this read very much.

Not as important a topic as whether Queen is or isn't the best rock band in Britain, but its worth talking about.

3:03 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

ps. why can't we impose a 4 letter maximum on word verification?

3:03 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

CC- ha! You beddy fanny lound eye.

3:05 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Re: why can't we impose a 4 letter maximum on word verification?

Because Google owns our asses now. Well, at least the infrastructure that holds our asses up - that we get for free.

3:07 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger pam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:31 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger pam said...

So, I guess you are Google's bitch then, aren'tcha?

Good post, by the way. We all make choices when we decide to have kids. I can't imagine having children I would not raise.

3:32 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Pam- Until they start dictating what I can and can't publish I'm still free as the wind baby.

Whenever I need to, I'm prepared to forsake them and go under ground. I'm hard core. Yo.

3:38 PM, January 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are several good reasons to leave your child, and the immigrants are displaying one reason for it. But one must weigh the cost against the reward.

I left my son for 9 months to settle in B.C. Now we are reunited, I have a better job, make more money, and have a better life than I did in Toronto. Was it worth it? For me, yes.

At issue here should not be Chinese immigrants, but child poverty, and minimum wage. The important factor here should be, what are CANADIANS in the same situation doing? They don't have the luxury of shipping their kids off to another country where Grampa can take care of them.

12:23 AM, January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it is about choices parents make. I have always seen my parents make the choices that will be good for all of us. May be the choice these chinese immigrants are making by sending their kids back to china or keeping them here is good for all of them. We won't know until we are in that situation.

12:40 AM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Lai- I thought I'd hear from you custard boy- but not so eloquently. You've said it better than I sir.

gong hey fat choy dude...well, over here anyway!

6:38 AM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Adrian- thanks for your comments but I disagree on one point- this is not about child poverty. These kids are always one airline ticket away from esape. How many other parents of "poor" kids have that option?

6:40 AM, January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

k-dough, I don't understand what you disagree on. We agree that many Canadians (read: not Chinese immigrants) don't have the option to "escape". Therefore the larger issue here is about child poverty, not about Chinese immigrants, and that is what our media should be focused on. We care so much about immigrants, but what about the hidden underclass of Canadians?

6:34 PM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Sorry Adrian- I think I misread what you were saying. I thought you were tying together the issues of poverty and the Chinese situation. My bad.

Poverty is the larger corollary issue to be sure...I'm not sure it has much to do with this specific group though.

6:55 PM, January 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home