Friday, December 08, 2006

Merry Consumerist Orgy!

Let me preface this inevitable searching for the higher meaning of Christmas post by saying that I am not a Christian. At best, my faith system is based on a hypocritical melange of Buddhism, asceticism, hedonism, bushido and the balanced employ of controlled, and sometimes illicit, substances. But recently, the realization that my daughter is old enough to get the Santa thing has cross-checked me from behind into a bloody uncomfortable philosophical corner.

I probably grew up like most of you: Each December, I would spend hours feverishly scanning the Consumers Distributing catalogue for what I wanted for Christmas. I'd carefully circle the things I yearned for, along with the things I thought I had a reasonable shot at actually receiving. On Christmas morning though, I would be absolutely thrilled with whatever I got, because, even though I came from a struggling one-parent family, my Mother would always sacrifice enough to make sure we had something we loved.

Over the past 10 years though, I have become overcome by cynicism about the disgusting consumerist orgy that occurs from September onward. In fact, I despise it. It violates serious intellectual and spiritual principles that I hold sacrosanct in my head and heart. Not to mention the trifling fact that there is absolutely no religious reason for me to celebrate the holiday. Of course, we still put up a tree and decorations, which makes absolutely no logical sense, except that I guess it fills some traditional gap that would be empty if we didn't. I mean, I love the pretty glittery things, but Jesus ain't exactly my homeboy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Enter Li'l Miss Kay-Dough. I don't know what to do with her. She had already been exposed to images of Santa through our broader culture before I even had a chance to formulate some plan of dealing with my own confusing X-Mas hypocrisy. Santa is already a cultural legend to her. I'm not stupid. I know she will grow up expecting luxuries to be bestowed upon her like every other kid. And I really don't want to deny her that childish wonderment because of my own heady, abstract beliefs. Thus, my brain is becoming cobwebbed with heart strings.

I look around me and wonder "when did conspicuous, unsustainable consumption become a suitable substitute for compassion and love?" What the fuck is wrong with us? Why do people contract out caregiving for their kids, just to work all year to buy them Playstations as proof of love? Not to mention the fact that people stress themselves out to a ridiculous point at Christmas. People dread driving all over the place; they dread placating demands for their time put on them by increasingly complex and divided families- thanks to the miracle of divorce; they dread shopping before and the drowning tide of bills after Christmas. I just don't get it. Hey- it just occurred to me: Maybe it's the people I don't like, not Christmas.

Anyway, back to Li'l Miss Kay-Dough. As she grows up, she will be distracted by superficial shiny things too. She will be fallible, greedy, self-centred and fuck people around like we all do. I guess all I can do in the mean time is resolve to make sure that I teach her right and wrong and instil a sense of the true meaning of family, friends and love. In the end, if all we have is breaking bread, drinking, laughing and caring we have all we need. Actually, that is what I teach her every day. Why should Christmas be any different?

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably one of your most insightful and caring postings.

Commercialization has disguised and destroyed our ability to "break bread" "drink" "laugh" and "love" our family and friends at Christmas (and throughout the year). An X-Box does not show love, an MP3 player does not share memories. Do we remember what we received last Christmas? or do we remember where we were, who we were with, and what we did?

Not meaning to get on a soapbox, but consider the less fortunate this year. Even in Ontario, we have 3rd world conditions in Northern Ontario with native reserves. They don't have healthy water and their children are committing suicide. In light of this devastating situation, our cities 100 miles south are focusing on the latest DVD.

It's a vicious circle being inundated by the industry but let's take time out to appreciate all we have and all those we love.

Good posting, K.

9:14 AM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

Christmas is ruined with commercialization if we let it happen. I doubt very much that Kaydette would fall into that trap. I don't think you would let that happen. Christmas is about family and friends and if your focus is on what's important, you child's will be as well.

Very good point, Noel. I went to school in the North with kids bussed in from the reserves (and these were not even the really remote reserves). The living conditions were terrible and lard sandwiches were not uncommon. I'll never forget it.

9:40 AM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Thanks so much for the kudos Noel. It means a lot when Herbie the Christmas Elf gets the message. How's dental school coming anyways?

But seriously, as we've discussed, to me faith is not about which graven image or god you worship. It's about loving and caring for the living.

Karma will save your soul if its worth saving. All the bling bling in the world will not.

The meek may indeed inherit the world, but the stupid shall inherit nothing more than their loved ones' unpaid credit card bills.

9:56 AM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Pam- I am completely with you on the personal responsibility aspect of this. It makes it hard though when your kids grow up amidst other kids whose parents don't take the time to explain this shit to their kids.

10:13 AM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger Saskboy said...

I've been thinking about this too a lot lately. I don't have a little Saskboy to complicate my thinking yet, and most people on my list have everything worldly they REALLY need. The trick is finding something they'd like, and I think long ago their homes filled up with the spoils of 3rd World workers, and my trips to the department/whatever store. So I'm regrouping this year, and trying something new.

I've devised a budget, of about what I'd spend in a year on Christmas gifts for others (and like any self centered Canadian, myself too), and have broken it down into the following two parts:
1. Gifts for others
2. Gifts for people who NEED gifts

I am seeking out charities that let me contribute to them, and generate a charitable tax receipt that goes to the person I'm giving a "gift" to. So my family/friends get money off of their taxes [assuming they file taxes and make enough money to pay them], and charities get funds they need to help people with cancer cancer.ca, blindness cnib.ca, starvation, or lack of children's toys. Thus the two portions of Christmas giving are fulfilled - the giftee gets something, and no consumerism reigns supreme. As a bonus, the giftee doesn't have to throw away something old to make room for the new gift. For added effort, find a small or homemade gift that suits your giftee, and doesn't add to the waste pile beside the Christmas tree before it gets mulched.

1:50 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Saskboy- that's an awesome and noble idea dude. Good luck with it.

Just don't pull a Costanza and invest in the Humanist Fund!

2:13 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

That's more of a Festivas gift, k-dough.

2:28 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

True enough.

Personally, my only regret as a disadvanatged child was that I never got to participate in the Feats of Strength portion of Festivus with my dear ole Dad.

2:58 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger Sheena said...

this is the only Christmas post necessary.

can't remember if I linked to it or not before

9:02 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Sheena: I disagree.

There's a new post in town (everbody's talkin 'bout the) new post in town.

9:39 PM, December 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well k-dough , at least you can rest your mind a bit knowning a christmas tree is not a christian thing. and santa is a pagan guy taken over by hallmark.

we went through the same struggles. by the time baby scout was about 12 she was referring to status quo pepes as 'magazine people'...'mom, they're so phony, they look and act like they're out of magazines'. we still use the term, good on her.

and things kept growing in her mind untl at last, christmas has become for her what her parents think of it. ya, ya, we still exchange gifts, but she's at an age now where she can contribute to my side of the family's 'version' , which is a draw where the name picked chooses their own charity and we contribute (the cheque gets sent to the person so we don't get all the bloody frickin' mail after).

so hang in there, daddy-o....things have a magical way of coming around if you can promote things like homemade as being the best gift in the world , next to love.

11:15 AM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger K-Dough said...

Scout/MS- inspiring comments...thanks for the lift!

11:52 AM, December 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-dough, I agree with you 100%. Consumerism sucks!

Of course, if some hot guy wanted to give me a Christmas gift of that gorgeous $7000 Omega watch I saw at Birks the other day... well, it WOULD be rude to turn down a gift, right?

7:49 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger pam said...

homo,

It would be bad manners to turn down a gift. Accept it graciously, and send a thank you card a few days later.
Oh, and you could sleep with him if you wanted. That part is optional.

8:19 PM, December 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam,

What kind of boy do you take me for? Of course I'd sleep with a HOT guy who bought me an Omega watch. I'd marry right quick too! :)

9:27 PM, December 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home