Monday, February 06, 2006

Cabbie's Death Sparks Compassion

So you know that cab driver, Tahir Khan, who was killed when he was unfortunate enough to get caught up in the middle of a teenage BMW race in an upscale Toronto neighbourhood? Well, it looks like politicians are going to support efforts to give him his citizenship post-humously and help his family immigrate here from Pakistan. Khan had jumped through all the immigration hoops and was days away from swearing into our country.

This is why I love this country. It's the best we can be. Yes, we do spend a whole lot of time navel-gazing in our cosy, insular, G-8 narcosis, well-fed with fat bellies and warm from the fire. Yes, some of the politicians involved may be motivated by other than altruistic impulses. Bottom line is, (and I learned this in Logic 101 kids), the do-gooder's motivation, whether it be selfish or selfless, doesn't diminish the value of a kind, humanitarian gesture. We need a hell of a lot more of this kind of Canadian love baby, and not just when it's as easy as shootin' fish in a barrel. Know what I'm sayin'?
Canada, politics, k-dough, liberal, conservative, harper, Ontario, kdough, criticism, neo-con, commentary, communications, legislature, Chretien, election,policy, hand guns, Toronto

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-Dough, congrats on the birth of your blog!

You gave me a shudder down my spine saying nice things about Stephen Lewis and Dryden in the first few posts, but I'll forgive you.

I thought I'd put those scary U of T Poli Sci guest lecturer memories behind me, but apparently not. Oh well, I guess I owe the two of them - among many - for turning me into a conservative.

A few posts back, you noted your frustration at peoples' rudeness in the city. I have those same feelings every day.

My anger comes from the fact that I, too, am one of the door openers. I let people in in traffic. I signal. I wave when others let me in. And I give my seat to women and older people when no one else will. I hope I get a call one day asking me if I'd be willing to donate my bone marrow to save someone's life.

Conversely, I get mad at those who treat others like trash, or something to be 'used' or 'bested' without regard.

There are two types of people. Those who are courteous and thoughtful. And then there are those who view everything as a contest and a confrontation, with a winner and a loser. These people would rather crash their cars than 'lose'.

These are the type of people who would rob an old woman... just because they can.

If everyone were like me, we would not need police. Period. And because of this, I agree with you on the 'eye for an eye' thing.

My morality has nothing to do with religion. I feel good getting along and being liked. But I refuse to put up with others who treat me like garbage.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But when crosssed, I am black & white. And I'm hoping that my in-car swearing at the ignorant putzes is a relief valve that keeps the tumours away.

Congrats again. Have fun with the blog.

gwgm.

11:31 PM, February 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

12:59 PM, February 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home